Going to court can be a very unpleasant experience for most. We can save a lot of heartache and stress if we understand what is expected of us when we are present in a courtroom. These tips can help make your experience a little better:
- Settle issues before entering the court room. Settle as many possible issues as you can before even entering the court room. Even if the settlement does not seem that “attractive,” most of the time a pre-court settlement is simply better.
- Address the judge as “Your Honor.” When a judge puts on their robe, they expect respect, give it to them and things will go much smoother for you.
- Leave negativity at the door of the court room. You may not be in a good mood, but make certain you leave your negativity at the door. Judge’s do not appreciate hostility or negativity, do your best to remain calm and composed no matter how difficult your case may be.
- Lower your expectations of the results. Go in with confidence, but understand that you have a 33% chance of getting the ruling you desire. You are up against the judge and the defendant/prosecutor.
- If you have an attorney, do not speak unless asked to do so. You are paying them for a reason, let your attorney handle the case and respond only when the judge asks you to.
How to hire a criminal lawyer in NW FL
If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges in Destin, Ft Walton Beach, Crestview, Shalimar, 30A, or other areas of NW Florida, your highest priority should be to select an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Glenn Swiatek has the trial experience to handle your criminal charges effectively and is qualified to handle criminal appeals and post conviction relief cases in these areas of the Florida Panhandle: Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Shalimar, Crestview, Niceville, Valparaiso, 30-A, Miramar Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, Freeport, DeFuniak Springs, Navarre, Gulf Breeze, Milton, and Pensacola.