What is First-Degree Felony Murder in Florida?
The crime of First-Degree Felony Murder is a Capital Offense which is punishable by the Death Penalty or Life without the possibility of parole.
The offense of First-Degree Felony Murder occurs when:
- Victim is dead.
- Person killed another human being while engaged in the commission, attempted commission, or escape from the immediate scene of the crime of the following statutorily enumerate felonies of:
- Trafficking offense prohibited by s. 893.135(1),
- Sexual battery,
- Aggravated child abuse,
- Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,
- Aircraft piracy,
- Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb,
- Home-invasion robbery,
- Aggravated stalking,
- Murder of another human being,
- Resisting an officer with violence to his or her person,
- Aggravated fleeing or eluding with serious bodily injury or death,
- Felony that is an act of terrorism or is in furtherance of an act of terrorism, including a felony under § 775.30, § 775.32, § 775.33, § 775.34, or § 775.35, or
- Human trafficking.
3. Defendant was the person who actually killed victim or victim was killed by a person other than Defendant and the person who killed the victim were principals in the commission of crime.
Defenses in Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Shalimar, Crestview, and other areas of Florida:
- Person acted in self-defense.
- Person did not commit a felony.
- Person did not actually kill the victim and was not a principal in the commission of crime.
Contact Criminal Defense Attorney Glenn M. Swiatek for a Free Initial Consultation
If you have been arrested or believe you will soon be arrested for the offense of first-degree felony murder in Destin, Shalimar, Crestview, Ft. Walton Beach or other areas of Northwest Florida please call us today at (850) 609‑0940 or contact us online.
Initial Office Consults are free, and I will make myself available to suit your schedule. Get the peace of mind that an attorney with over twenty-three years of criminal law experience can bring.